The session will look at the key changes to the law and how this specifically affects sports governing bodies, stakeholders, members & participants of sport (including children), sponsors and other organisations involved in the handling and processing of data (internally, externally and internationally) within the sports sector.
There will be discussion around the importance of compliance surrounding the UK Sport and Sport England’s “A Code for Governance” (the Code), practical advice on what organisations need to do to ensure compliance with the Code and the law and importantly how to realise the commercial value in the handling and processing of data.
The seminar will be taking place in two locations, the first event will take place on Thursday the 6 July at our office, 1 Salisbury Square in London with the second seminar being held in Leeds on Thursday, 27 July, at Shulmans LLP’s office, 10 Wellington Place in Leeds.
- The session will be interactive with ample opportunity throughout to ask questions and discuss scenarios, real or hypothetical. The session will cover:
- An overview of the current data protection laws, the GDPR and the impact of Brexit;
- The Code and how data protection applies;
- Strategies to comply with some of the significant changes introduced by the GDPR including:
- -- Data Protection Officers
- -- Data Protection by Design/Default
- -- Consents
- -- Breach Notifications
- -- Sanctions
- How to realise and protect the commercial value in data.
Who should attend?
The General Data Protection Regulation will impact all sporting organisations and will be of interest to personnel who handle data in the following organisations:
- National Governing Bodies
- Sporting clubs
- Lawyers working in-house for national and international federations, leagues and professional clubs
- Government officials and policy makers with an interest in sport
- Sports Marketing, Media and Sponsorship professionals
- Sports Technology and Data Organisations
Please note: This seminar is aimed at delegates from National Governing Bodies and Sporting clubs AND NOT delegates wishing to attend from Private Practice firms.
More about Shulmans LLP
Shulmans LLP is an award winning full service UK200 Corporate law firm based in Leeds. The firm is ranked in the Legal 500 for its Sports work and currently acts for a wide range of multinational sports brands, high profile football clubs, managing agents, sports clubs, organisations and national governing bodies. The firm’s sports team is focused on the business of sport and is able to assist on all legal, commercial and regulatory matters relating to the sports industry.
In particular the strength and depth of this team’s specialist knowledge in the field of data protection and privacy issues is of note outside London, with particular expertise in how this topic affects clients in a number of sectors including sports organisations.
The team was nominated for the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2016, for which it was shortlisted in the ‘Data Protection Law Firm of the Year (UK wide)’ category, having been nominated by a client. Partner in the team, Mark Lumley, was awarded ‘Data Protection Lawyer of the Year 2016’ at the Finance Monthly FinTech Awards 2017.